Research Policy Analysis and Coordination
Research record retention and disposition
Laws and university policy affect the retention and disposition of administrative records relating to research. UC's policy on record management defines a "record" as "Any writing, regardless of physical form or characteristics, containing information relating to the conduct of the public’s business prepared, owned, used, or retained by an operating unit or employee of the university."
The university maintains a record retention schedule that defines the period of time that records should be retained and when they should be destroyed.
Research enterprise-related records that are covered by the record retention schedule include:
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- Conflict of Interest (COI)
- Agreements, Awards & Contracts
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Research Misconduct
- Food And Drug Administration (FDA)
Records retention and disposition: principles, processes, and guidelines
As summary of retention and disposition requirements for research-related activities as of May 2023.