Information Technology Services
Accessible Documents and PDFs
PDFs posted on public websites should be accessible to people who use screenreaders because of poor or no vision. ITS provides assistance to ensure PDF documents are accessible. This involves some easy formatting steps in the original Microsoft Office Document.
To make accessible PDFs, do one or more of the following:
- Follow simple instructions for making accessible PDFs from MS Office documents.
- Send documents to the UCOP web publishing team to convert them into accessible PDFs.
- Consult with ITS about handling inaccessible PDFs already posted on the web, or about projects that involve large numbers of PDFs.
- Read more about the PDFs and accessibility.
How to Order or Request Support
Use the IT Staff Services section of the Service Hub to request support, or call (510) 987-0457.
Availability of Service
Support is available M – F, 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
All UCOP personnel
- Initial consultation: No cost
- Document conversion to an accessible PDF: Departmental recharge for hourly web services
- Approved ITS projects: Work related to accessible PDFs needs to be specified as part of the standard budgeted cost of approved projects.