Information Technology Services
UCOP supports a standardized computing environment to control overall purchase and support costs. UCOP personnel receive a standard computing bundle, including hardware and software. One computing bundle is provided per individual.
- Departmental transfers. Individuals who transfer to a different UCOP department take their computer hardware with them.
- Employee separation. When an individual separates from UCOP, departments notify the Service Hub and request a pick up of any UCOP furnished hardware so that it may be reallocated.
Departments also may request approval to purchase nonstandard equipment, including Macs. ITS provides ongoing support only for UC owned standard and nonstandard hardware.
Computer Salvaging. ITS provides salvaging services for inoperable systems. The hard drive is removed, wiped, and shredded by an outside vendor. Shredding is done offsite in compliance with HIPAA, FACTA, and other state and federal guidelines. Other system components are sent to UCB Overstock & Salvage for resale, donation, or salvaging.
How to Order:
Requesting a standard computer bundle. One computing bundle per individual is provided; approved additional devices are charged at cost to the requesting department.
- For new personnel: Departments request a standard computing bundle via the Service Hub.
- For current personnel: ITS maintains an inventory of equipment and service records. ITS at its discretion may replace computers that need service or no longer provide the necessary functionality.
Hardware exception requests. If nonstandard equipment is needed, follow the Nonstandard Equipment Request Guidelines. If approval is provided, ITS purchases the nonstandard hardware and issues a one-time charge to the department for the difference in price between the standard computing bundle and the nonstandard equipment.
Laptops. Specific processes apply to laptops.
- Approval required. Departments must approve the use of a laptop in accordance with systemwide policy, G-46. Guidelines for Purchase and Use of Cellular Phones and Other Portable Electronic Resources (pdf). Per policy, each individual provided a laptop must sign and usage agreement (pdf), which ITS will keep on file.
- Accessories. For full price, departments may purchase additional peripherals (e.g. second or larger monitors, keyboards, trackball mouse, etc.). Departments should follow their normal purchase procedures, and they are encouraged to consult the IT Service Desk before purchase to ensure the item can be supported.
How to Request Support
Support is available M – F, 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Request support through the Service Hub or by contacting the IT Service Desk via the Service Hub.
All UCOP personnel may receive the standard computing bundle. All UCOP departments may request approval to purchase nonstandard computing equipment provided they demonstrate a business need.
The cost of the standard computing equipment is covered in the departmental recurring IT utilities fee. If nonstandard hardware is approved, the department pays the difference in costs between the standard equipment and the nonstandard item, in addition to the IT utilities fee.