UC Small and Diverse Business Advisory Council
Established in April 2017, the University of California Small & Diverse Business Advisory Council's purpose is to provide a forum for businesses, business affiliate organizations and business trade associations to comment and provide feedback on UC policies and practices that affect or impact small and diverse business utilization and participation in UC contracts and projects. The Council is chaired by UC Chief Procurement Officer, Bill Cooper. The formation of this group was first announced by President Napolitano in July of 2016 during a meeting held at the LA Latino Chamber of Commerce in Los Angeles, CA. The Council meets in-person on a quarterly basis and reports regularly to the President’s office, the UC Procurement Leadership Council and through other key University channels.
The councils mission is to foster, promote, increase and retain spend between the University of California and small, diverse, disadvantaged and local businesses.
- Gil Vasquez, Manager Partner, Vasquez & Company LLP; Chairman of LA Latino Chamber of Commerce
- Maxie Juzang, President, President & CEO, Healthcare Staffing Professionals
- Aubry Stone, President & CEO, CA Black Chamber of Commerce
- Jasmine Ali, President & CEO, Bay Systems Inc.
- Danetta Jackson, Section Program Manager, Procurement Division – Customer/Supplier Outreach, Training & Advocacy, State of California, Department of General Services
- Tong Qin, Deputy District Director, Director for Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Outreach, San Francisco District Office, Small Business Administration
- Carl Hackney, Managing Director, Hackney & Company
- Ingrid Merriwether, President & CEO, Merriwether & Williams
- Delvecchio Finley, Chief Executive Officer, Alameda Health System
- Danielle Beavers, Diversity & Inclusion Director, The Greenlining Institute
- Sandra Escalante, President & CEO, Laner Electric Supply Co., Inc.
- William Propst, Chief Procurement Officer,Corporate Financial Services, University of California, Los Angeles
- Richard Chacon, Director, Supplier Diversity and Development, MUFG Union Bank, N.A.
- Shaila Mistry, Co-Founder and President, Jayco mmi, Inc.
- Doug Parrish, President and CEO, Red Dipper
- William Cooper (Chair), Associate Vice President & Chief Procurement Officer, University of California, Procurement Services
- Stephanie Lopez, Special Programs Manager, University of California, Procurement Services
|Program Management||Business pipeline transparency||
Project to clarify general practices around competitive bidding at UC.
|Program Management||Campus Case Study||
Recommendation that UC evaluate a single campus to assess the sites small and diverse business program, campus pipeline, supplier interface practices, reporting, etc.
Evaluation Site: UC Los Angeles Campus Procurement
|Education & Outreach||Site Best Practice Review||Select a small group of UC personnel to participate in an off-site workshop. Participants will visit a site with an exemplary program and conduct a full program review/interview to gain knowledge and use findings to drive program changes.|
|Education & Outreach||Develop Economic Impact Report||Develop economic impact report to reflect UC’s impact on economy and community today.|
|Education & Outreach||Communication Guide||Develop and manage a robust communication guide to provide to Council Members and UC Supplier Diversity Coordinators so each group can efficiently/effectively communicate key information. Some examples being: business fair announcements, upcoming solicitations, other business opportunities, program changes, etc.|