Ethics, Compliance and Audit Services
Animal subjects research
The University of California is committed to the humane care and use of animals in research and teaching.
The campus and laboratory Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees oversee the University's animal care and use program and are responsible for reviewing all animal use protocols, ensuring compliance with federal regulations, inspecting animal facilities and laboratories, and overseeing training and educational programs.
This page contains resources and materials on the proper care of animals used in research programs.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- Public Health Service, Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
- APHIS - Animal Welfare Factsheets
- Animal Welfare Act and Regulations
- OLAW – Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (pdf)
- National Research Council - Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals