Ethics, Compliance and Audit Services
HIPAA Privacy Compliance
Protected health information includes:
- Information created or received by a health care provider or health plan that includes health information or health care payment information plus information that personally identifies the individual patient or plan member.
Personal identifiers include:
- A patient's name and email, web site and home addresses; identifying numbers (including Social Security, medical records, insurance numbers, biomedical devices, vehicle identifiers and license numbers); full facial photos and other biometric identifiers; and dates (such as birth date, dates of admission and discharge, death).
- UC Campus and Health Center Privacy Liaisons
- Guidelines for UC implementation of the HIPAA Privacy Rule (pdf)
- Notices of privacy practices
- UC Self-funded Health Plans
All UC campuses have appointed a HIPAA Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer is the local campus administrative resource for implementation of the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
View the responsibilities of UC Privacy Liaisons.
|UC Berkeley||Juelann Greulich, Privacy Officer, University Health Services|
|UC Davis Health System||Teresa Porter, Chief Compliance Officer|
|UC Davis Health System||Anna Orlowski, JD, Chief Health System Counsel, Privacy Officer|
|UC Davis Student Health Services||Susan Takahashi, Director, Administrative Services|
|UC Irvine Student Health Center||Janet James, Manager, Credentialing, Quality & Compliance|
|UC Irvine Academic Health Center||Marion Mallory, Chief Compliance and Privacy Officer|
|UCLA||Kent Wada, Director, Strategic IT Policy and Chief Privacy Officer|
|UCLA Health System||Bob Gross, Chief Privacy Officer|
|UC Merced||Greg Spurgeon, Associate Director for Health Services|
|UC Office of the President||Marti Arvin, Systemwide Privacy Liaison
|UC Riverside||Ken Stewart, Student Affairs Officer, Campus Health Center|
|UC San Diego||Leland Giddings, MD, Chief Compliance/Privacy Officer|
|UC San Diego Student Health Services||Lisa Russon, MSO, Student Wellness (interim)|
|UC San Diego Academic Health Center||Leland Giddings, MD, Chief Compliance/Privacy Officer|
|UC San Francisco||Deborah Yano-Fong, Chief Privacy Officer, Director|
|UC Santa Barbara||Doug Drury, Director, Administrative Services Information Technology|
|UC Santa Barbara Student Health Services||Stephanie Coghlan, Associate Administrator|
|UC Santa Cruz||Linda Beaston, Operations Director|
|UC Santa Cruz Student Health Center||Mary Knudtson, Executive Director|
|Lawrence Berkeley National Lab||Peter Lichty, MD, Occupational Medicine Manager|
- Medical and Mental Health
- UC Health and Welfare Plans Notice of Privacy Practices (pdf)
The University of California offers various health care plans to its employees and retirees. Some of the medical plans are funded by the University and others are fully insured by an insurance carrier. The plan provider, whether the University of California or an insurance carrier, is required by HIPAA to provide a notice of privacy practices. The University of California Health and Welfare Plans Notice of Privacy Practices applies to the University’s "self-funded" plans as required by HIPAA privacy regulations and is found under UC Notice of Privacy Practice at this website. If you are a member of an insured plan, the insurance carrier will make its privacy notice available to you.
UC understands that your medical information is personal and we are committed to protecting your information. In general, the medical information held at the University consists of information about your health plan enrollment. In some cases, it may also include information that you have provided to UC staff members to assist with the coordination of your benefits or to resolve a complaint or grievance.
If you have questions or need further information about the UC Health and Welfare Plans Notice of Privacy Practices, contact the UC Health and Welfare Plans Privacy Office, 300 Lakeside Dr. 5th Floor, Oakland, CA 94612, Attention: Privacy Liaison.