Sustainability Steering Committee
First formed in 2003 by the UCOP Senior Vice President for Business and Finance, the Sustainability Steering Committee (SSC) engages decision makers from all ten campuses in developing and implementing a successful systemwide sustainability policy.
The SSC meets once a year to review policies and progress towards the goals outlined in the UC Sustainable Practices Policy (pdf).
The SSC is composed of a representative from each campus at the Vice Chancellor or Associate Vice Chancellor level, faculty representatives, external experts, the Student Regent, and undergraduate and graduate student representatives. Students are active on the committee and provide valuable input in its direction.
There are ten Policy Working Groups that report to the Sustainability Steering Committee:
- Co-Chair: David Weil, UC San Diego, Director, Sustainability & Carbon Neutrality
- Co-Chair: Jewel Snavely, UC Santa Barbara, Campus Sustainability Coordinator / OVC for Administrative Services
- Chair: Keiko Cadby, UCLA, Assistant Director, UCLA Fleet and Transit
- Co-Chair: Walt Kanzler, UC San Diego, Program Manager, Capital Program Management
- Co-Chair: Mark Maxwell, UC Merced, Assistant Project Manager / LEED Coordinator, Sustainability Office
- Co-Chair: Sam Lubow, UC Berkeley, Environmental Initiatives Coordinator, Cal Dining
- Chair: Katie Maynard, UC Santa Barbara, Sustainability Coordinator, Geography
- Co-Chair: Darin Matthews, UC Santa Cruz, Director of Procurement, Procurement Services
- Co-Chair: Heather Perry, UC Santa Barbara, Sustainable Procurement Analyst, Purchasing
- Chair: Teresa Buika, UC Santa Cruz, Senior Transportation Planner, Transportation and Parking
Sustainable Water Systems
- Co-Chair: Nurit Katz, UCLA, Chief Sustainability Officer, Facilities Management
- Co-Chair: Valerie Fanning, UC San Diego, Compliance Officer, Environmental Health and Safety
UC Health Sustainability
- Contact Person: Sapna Thottathil, UCOP, Associate Director of Sustainability
- Co-Chair: Matthew O'Carroll, UC Santa Barbara, Refuse, Recycling, and Water Efficiency Manager, Facilities Management
- Co-Chair: Anne Krieghoff, UC Irvine, Sustainability Program Manager, Facilities Management
Working Groups coordinate the implementation of their respective policy areas by sharing best practices and drafting policy and procedural recommendations to further sustainability goals, capturing benefits from economies of scales and scopes, and providing the Steering Committee with updates on implementation progress and challenges. Working Groups report progress and policy proposals annually to the SSC.
Working Group members are appointed by each campus. Chairs are selected by the Working Group and typically serve a two year term. All UC campuses are represented on each of the working groups.
Working Groups meet several times each year by conference call. Working Group Chairs attend Sustainability Steering Committee meetings to present on any policy updates or new proposals.