Research Policy Analysis and Coordination
Deposit of funds for UCOP extramural contacts and grants
For UCOP contracts and grants, checks and wire transfer should be sent directly to UCLA. When funds are sent directly to UCOP, the check or wire transfer will be deposited at OP in a Financial Control (holding) Account (E-119545-90045). This location is not accessible by UCLA Extramural Funds Management (EFM). Therefore, UCLA Corporate Accounting will move the funds to a Cash Received Undistributed (CRU) account at UCLA. From there, the UCLA Remittance Center can access the funds and credit the appropriate fund number specifically assigned to the award. Section I below provides instructions for the deposit of checks. Section II provides instructions for electronic wire transfers. Section III addresses Refund checks.
Check Deposit Instructions
Deposit of funds by UCLA
Checks in support of extramural contracts and grants should be mailed to UCLA:
UCLA Payment Solution & Compliance
BOX 957089, 1125 MURPHY HALL
405 HILGARD AVENUE
LOS ANGELES, CA 90095-9000
Attn: Robert Scott
You may need to explain that the funds need to be processed by the Los Angeles campus because UCLA manages extramural award accounts for UCOP.
Ask sponsor to make reference to the “Office of the President,” the award number, and fund number (if available) on the check stub.
Deposit of funds by UCOP
Checks sent directly to UCOP should be depostisted on the same day received (BUS-49 VIIIB.3).
Follow these instructions.
- Complete a Check Deposit Form. Deposit to Account No. E-119545-90045. On the memo section of the Deposit form, you should note that you will request that UCLA move the funds to the appropriate CRU (Cash Received Undistributed) for the type of sponsor:
CRU account 4-116013-28997 for federal sponsors
CRU account 4-116026-20998 for State or local government sponsors
CRU account 4-116019-59995 for private sponsor
- The Business Resource Center (BRC) serves as a main cashiering station for UCOP. The cashiering station is located on the 9th floor of the Franklin Building. Hours are 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p. m. - 2:00 p.m. for same day deposit. Look for the large $ sign to direct you to the cashier on duty.
Take the check to BRC, along with two Deposit forms, one for BRC records, and the other for your own records. Have the BRC cashier sign your copy and preserve it in your records along with a copy of the check.
- Keep a log of all checks received by your department. Include Sponsor Name, check number, amount, check date, disposition of check (e.g. hand delivered to [enter name BRC handler] for deposit), and date deposited.
- Send an email notification (a sample is attached to these instructions) with the following information to persons listed below:
• A scanned copy of the check
• Contract/grant number
• State whether funds are for a new or existing contract/grant
• If the fund number has been assigned, provide fund number, otherwise state that the fund number is to be determined.
• Provide account/fund number where check will be deposited at OP, which should always be E-119545-90045
In order to facilitate proper placement of funds, also provide information in the following format:
- Source: mo/day/year (Insert ck date)
- Project: XXXXX (Insert EFM assigned fund number, if available. Otherwise insert award number.)
- Description: Insert Sponsor Name
- Ref.: Insert Check Number
- Amt: $
- PI: Insert PI Name
Request that funds be moved by UCLA Corporate Accounting from the financial control account listed above into CRU account 4-1160XX-XXXXX (insert appropriate CRU Account Number, in accordance Step 2 above).
Send Notice to:
UCLA EFM Remittance Center – Robert Scott (email@example.com)
UCLA Corporate Accounting – Financial Control (firstname.lastname@example.org) and David Chinniah (email@example.com)
UCLA EFM –Grace Agustin (Grace.Agustin@research.ucla.edu)
UCLA EFM – Robert Scott (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Veronica Cortez (email@example.com)
UCOP Financial Management Endowments and investment accounting group – Mary Wong (Mary.firstname.lastname@example.org) and Kim Williams (Kim.Williams@ucop.edu)
UCOP Corporate Accounting – Doris Wildeman (Doris.Wildeman@ucop.edu)
UCOP Research Policy Analysis & Coordination-RPAC - Lourdes DeMattos (Lourdes.DeMattos@ucop.edu)
Wire Transfers sent to UCLA
For wire transfers, whenever possible, request that transfers in support of extramural contracts and grants be sent to UCLA, and follow steps 1 and 2 below.
- Provide the Electronic Funds Transfer Information stated below to the sponsor:
Pay to the Order of: The Regents of the University of California
Financial Institution Information:
Bank of America NT&SA
Automated Payment Center #1282
P.O. Box 37025
San Francisco, CA 94137
Nine Digit Routing Transit Number: 121000358
Depositor Account Title: The Regents of the University of California, Los Angeles*
Depositor Account Number: 14996-50103
Attn: Robert Scott Phone: 310-794-8260
Ask sponsor to make reference to the “Office of the President,” the award number, and fund number (if available) in the notes section.
*You may need to explain that the funds need to be processed by the Los Angeles campus because UCLA manages extramural award accounts for the UC Office of the President.
- Notify the UCLA Remittance Center, UCLA EFM, and OP RPAC that the funds are coming (see contact information above in Step 4, Section I.B), and provide the sponsor name, the award number (if available), and the EFM uniquely assigned fund number (if available). State whether this payment is for a new or existing award, and whether RPAC has issued the Notice of Award.
Wire Transfers Sent to UCOP
Should a Sponsor send a wire transfer directly to Office of the President, follow these instructions:
- Request that Doris Wildeman (email@example.com) in General Accounting transfer the funds to Account No. E-119545-90045. Provide location where funds are sitting.
- Send a request to Financial Control (firstname.lastname@example.org) and David Chinniah (email@example.com) for the transfer of funds to the appropriate CRU correlating to the type of prime sponsor as described above in step 2 of Section I.B.
- Notify the UCLA Remittance Center, UCLA EFM, and OP RPAC (see contact information above in Step 4, Section I.B) that the funds have been deposited via a wire transfer, and provide the sponsor name, the award number (if available), and the EFM uniquely assigned fund number (if available). State whether this payment is for a new or existing award, and whether RPAC has issued the Notice of Award.
Refund checks from subawardees under an extramural award are to be handled as described above in Section I, except that you should state in your email notice that this is a REFUND CHECK from a subcontractor, under prime grant/contract number XXX, fund number XXXXX. The CRU account to be listed should correlate to the type of prime sponsor as described above in step 2 of Section I.B.
Sample Email Notice
Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Lourdes.DeMattos@ucop.edu; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org (insert PI email address); (insert dept business officer’s email address)
Subject: (Insert Sponsor Name) Check deposited
Attach: (copy of check)
Today we will deposit at OP the attached check from (insert Sponsor Name, or state if this is a Refund Check from a subcontractor under a prime sponsor). This is for [an existing grant/contract] or [a new grant/contract], number ____ [insert award number]. The assigned fund number is M-XXXXX [insert fund number if available or if not available, “TDB”].
The funds will be deposited in the following acct/fund:
Source: mo/day/year (Insert ck date)
Project: XXXXX (Insert EFM assigned fund number, if available. Otherwise insert award number.)
Description: Insert Sponsor Name
Ref.: Insert Check Number
PI: Insert PI Name
**By copy of this email, we ask that UCLA Corporate Accounting move the funds from the financial control account listed above into CRU account 4-1160XX-XXXXX (insert appropriate CRU Account Number, in accordance with RPAC issued Deposit Instructions).