UCOP systemwide alerts/updates

Recent alerts

Honors Courses & Evidence of Progression

Posted to CIAC listserv 4/5/13

In response to a number of questions, this is to confirm that we will continue current UC TCA practice in the following areas:

Honors Courses

  • Course outlines must be submitted for both “regular” and “honors” versions of courses.
  • Honors courses should show evidence of increased rigor and/or content.

Evidence of Progression

  • Re: the “families” of courses being created due to changes in repeatability in Art, Dance, Drama/Theatre Arts, and Music, etc. [Example: Drama 1 is being split into a new “family” of courses: Beginning Drama 1A, Intermediate Drama 1B, Advanced Drama 1C.] We understand that courses may have some overlap but will look for evidence of progression or indications that students are increasing their knowledge, skills, etc.

UC update on Intermediate Algebra prerequisite

Posted to CIAC listserv 3/7/13

The prerequisite for UC-transferable math courses continues to be intermediate algebra or equivalent. No attempt at this time will be made by UC to define specific content/courses that may be deemed “valid” alternate prerequisites. When submitting a course for TCA review, if CCC faculty propose a prerequisite that they judge to be the equivalent of intermediate algebra, then UCOP articulation analysts will treat the prerequisite as such and evaluate the course outline as usual. UC will not be evaluating the prerequisites listed – unless it is jointly requested by the CCC and UC faculty.

UC, CSU GE, and CCC repeatability

Posted to CIAC listserv 12/6/12

If your PE or Kinesiology course is currently UC-transferable and you will be separating it into two or three new courses because of repeatability, then you do not need to submit course outlines for the new courses during next summer’s TCA review cycle.

Using Ken O’Donnell’s example:

Your current PE 135 Tennis course is UC-transferable. Effective Fall 2013 you will replace it with the following new courses:

  • PE 135a - Beginning Tennis
  • PE 135b - Intermediate Tennis
  • PE 135c - Advanced Tennis

As Lori Quillen noted, use the Curriculum Update System in April to indicate the new courses.

For UCOP, during your TCA submission next summer:

  • Note the changes to your UC-transferable PE/Kinesiology courses on the PDF [formerly the triple-space] you send us.
  • Include the new course number(s) and course title(s), and information on repeatability.
  • As noted above, you will not need to submit outlines for courses in PE/Kinesiology that are currently UC-transferable.
  • However, for UC-transferable courses in other departments that will be impacted by changes in repeatability – such as Art, Drama/Theatre Arts, and Music – you will need to submit your new course outlines for TCA review.
  • In those cases, in addition to updating your PDF, we ask that you also include a note in ASSIST OSCAR confirming that your original course is now separated into three courses. For example, MUSIC 1 has been separated and is now MUSIC 1a, 1b, and 1c.

Transfer Prep Paths

Check out UC’s updated Transfer Prep Paths. They’re user-friendly and provide an overview of the most popular fields of study at all UC campuses. They will help students get a sense of the coursework they need to transfer to UC, whether or not they know which campus they want to attend or which major they want to pursue. Transfer Prep Paths are not a replacement for ASSIST.org or advising sheets; they’re an addition to them and may be used at general information sessions for students who are exploring different majors or who are in the early stages of transfer planning. More detailed resources, like ASSIST.org, the UC Transfer Admission Planner and campus-specific major information, can aid transfer students who are further along in the process.

UC Transfer Admission Planner

UC TAP is an online tool to help prospective UC transfer students track and plan their course work. http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/transfer/transfer-admission-planner/ The TAP tool is designed for use by UC students transferring from California community colleges, including those students who are seeking a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) with one of the seven participating UC campuses. Students can use the Transfer Admission Planner to enter their course work (completed and planned) from the very beginning of their college careers, or at any point when they decide to transfer to a UC campus. The planner helps students track their progress toward meeting UC's minimum requirements, and allows UC staff to communicate important information to prospective transfer students.