Environment, Health & Safety
EH&S Strategic Plan
In 2015, the EH&S Directors Leadership Council developed a new 5-year strategic plan that provides the necessary guidance to the UC systemwide senior management as well as direction to campus and medical center EH&S programs.
The goal is to strategically align EH&S resources so as to reduce to the greatest extent practicable the safety and environmental risks associated with the instructional, research and public service mission of the University
Environment, Health, and Safety Leadership Council Strategic Plan, 2015-2020
EH&S supports the University of California mission by promoting a safe, healthful environment in a proactive and cost effective manner that helps the university community manage their risk.
The University of California is recognized as having an effective safety culture, which holds individuals at all levels accountable for environmental, health and safety performance.
- Active Caring / Empathy
- Innovation and Efficiency
- Education and Professional Development
- Stewardship and Compliance
- Safe and Healthful Workplace
- Customer / Client Centric
- Communication and Transparency
- EH&S Leadership
- Become recognized as a leader by faculty, staff, students and other stakeholders in establishing institutional best practices and standards of care for workplace safety and environmental protection.
- Develop flexible solutions relevant to all locations, acknowledging a “one size fits all” approach is not always practical to implement across the UC system.
- Accountability and Metrics
- Develop, provide and promote actionable safety and environmental management programs based upon national and/or internationally recognized safety and environmental management standards and regulations.
- Develop and track location‐specific key performance metrics to enable data-driven decision‐making.
- Injury Prevention
- Ensure that safety is appropriately incorporated into individual performance management.
- Simplify, reaffirm, communicate and lead the implementation of the university’s commitment to safety.
- Sustain focus on safety culture transformation by enhancing partnerships with the academic, healthcare and administrative communities.
- Drive down the frequency and severity of injuries using metrics to prioritize intervention efforts.
- Environmental Stewardship
- Develop systemwide strategies and programs to address our environmental risks.
- Establish a system to track environmental metrics.
- Retention and Development
- Provide systemwide opportunities for professional development and continuing education for UC EH&S professionals.