Step 1: Go to Student Health Services
When you need care, go to your campus’ Student Health Services (SHS). This is your required first step, to get care that’s covered, except for emergency or Urgent Care Clinic visits, visits to pediatricians, obstetricians for pre-natal or maternity care, or gynecologists if one is not provided at SHS, or if you’re away from campus.
- No-cost preventive care is easy and convenient at SHS, keeping you well while studying and planning your future.
- Suffering with a severe sore throat? Ankle swollen after a workout? SHS provides a full range of primary care services focused on student health. Start your academic year by selecting your on-campus SHS primary care clinician.
- Need non-emergency care outside of SHS (except as noted above)? Contact SHS for a referral from your primary care clinician. This is your “okay” to receive care that will be paid for by the Plan. A referral is required regardless of where the care is provided worldwide.
- Use the referral for care provided at a UC Family medical center, affiliated facility and professional provider to pay student rates provided to UC SHIP members. Or obtain care at other Anthem Blue Cross Prudent Buyer (PPO) network providers to keep your costs low.
- Even if you don’t need a referral for care (noted above), you’ll get the highest coverage when you get care at a UC Family medical center, affiliated facility and professional provider. Or when you obtain care at other Anthem Blue Cross Prudent Buyer (PPO) network providers.
In an emergency, take action right away—call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room or Urgent Care Clinic.