State Governmental Relations
Making the case to state government
Master Plan Hearing in SacramentoPresident Yudof testified at the Dec. 7 master plan hearing in Sacramento to remind the legislature that the current excellence of California higher education is due in large part to the Master Plan for Higher Education -- both its vision for access and excellence and the detailed blueprint it provided for growth and development of the higher education system we now have today in California. Video of President Yudof's testimony is available on the UC Newsroom.
- President Yudof has met with the governor and the legislative leadership on the budget and testified before the legislative budget committees in Sacramento.
- Several chancellors and Regents likewise have traveled to Sacramento to meet with legislators on the funding challenges facing the UC system.
- The Academic Senate leaders for UC, CSU, and the community colleges met with legislators and staff to advocate for funding of public higher education.
- UC produced and delivered Cal Grant fliers to the office of each legislator in Sacramento showing the number of students in their district, in all of higher education, who would be impacted by the governor's proposed cut to Cal Grants.
- President Yudof has been working to begin a discussion at the national level about the appropriate federal role in funding higher education.
A wide variety of UC supporters have made trips to Sacramento or held lobby days of their own to make the UC funding case. These include:
- UC President's Board on Science and Innovation
- Los Angeles corporate leaders
- The chair and vice chair of the Academic Senate
- Staff Advisers to the Board of Regents
- Student Regent Jesse Bernal
- UC Student Association
- High school/community college students supporting academic prep programs