Information Technology Services
Campus Payroll Support
ITS operates the UC Base Payroll/Personnel System on a contract basis for seven campuses (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Riverside, San Diego, Santa Cruz, and Santa Barbara), Hastings College of the Law, and the Associated Students organization at UCLA (ASUCLA). Each system is a separate instance of the Base Payroll/Personnel System and is operated at the direction of a payroll manager at each site on its own local schedule and with its own settings, preferences, and local modifications. ITS Production Control and the Operational Payroll Maintenance group work at the direction of the payroll managers to meet local pay schedule, reporting, and other requirements.
As a payroll application, the system performs the traditional tasks of computing employee pay and deductions, performing tax reporting, and conveying data to banks and other financial institutions. As a personnel and financial application, the system performs many functions, including maintenance of employee demographic information; determination of eligibility for benefits; reporting and calculation of deductions for UC retirement and investment programs; and leave accrual and leave usage processing.
The contract service for operating a campus payroll includes the following:
- IR&C Corporate Data Center resources (e.g., CPU capacity, disk storage, etc.) required to support operation of the Base Payroll/Personnel system
- Online CICS access six days a week
- Web-based EDB inquiry and PAN viewing
- Scheduling of routine jobs and assistance in setting up special processes
- Batch processing on weekday evenings, including notification of availability of reports
- Transmission of output reports to local printers, if desired
- Web-based account setup and creation of online access rules
- Testing and implementation of Base Payroll releases on a timely basis
- Creation and maintenance of DB2 databases
- Transmission and verification of reconciliation and NACHA files to the bank
- Creation of interface files for UCOP applications such as UCRS and the Corporate Personnel System
- Creation of interface files for external agencies such as insurance carriers and unions
Data for all types of access is stored in twelve DB2 databases per payroll site, and multiple versions of two key databases are supported. These are the EDB (employee) and CTL (control tables) databases, which exist in three versions: current data, prior month-end data, and prior year-end data.
Output reports initially are written to disk datasets and then distributed electronically. Additionally, some sites directly access DB2 tables for local reporting or data warehouse needs using tools such as Oracle and DRDA.
How to Obtain Operational Payroll Support
Any campus interested in having ITS operate its payroll system should contact Carrie Gatlin.