Information Technology Services
Storage and Backup
Storage. ITS provides disk storage via its Fibre Channel and iSCSI storage area networks (SAN). Data replication solutions, including customized solutions, are also available via the Fibre Channel SAN.
Data backup. ITS installs Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) backup software on servers upon request. Departments should refer to University policy IS-3, Electronic Information Security, to determine whether data backup is necessary.
- TSM retains backup file copies for up to five of the most recently modified versions, or for up to fourteen days - whichever comes first. For example:
- If a file is modified regularly over fourteen days, the five most recent versions are retained.
- If no changes have been made to a file in the last fourteen days, the current version is retained as backup.
- If a file has been modified only once ever, the modified version is retained as backup.
- If a file has never been modified, only the original version is saved as a backup copy.
- No more than five versions are ever retained.
- Files that have been deleted can be recovered up to 28 days later.
Customized backup requirements are addressed on a case-by-case basis.
How to Order or Request Support
Support is available M-F, 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Use the IT Staff Services section of the Service Hub to request services, or contact the IT Service Desk.
Availability of Service
24/7, except during planned outages
All UCOP departments
3 levels of storage performance are offered:
- High performance: $6/GB per year
- Mid-level performance: $4/GB per year
- Economical performance: $2/GB per year
Customers should request a storage consultation via the Service Hub to select the storage tier that addresses business needs.