UC car rental insurance information

The University of California has a system wide car rental program with Enterprise, Hertz, and National. It offers UC business travelers the best value, most economical pricing, and includes insurance coverage.

Agreements generally include:

  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): CDW is included in the rate at no additional cost. Decline CDW, if offered by the agency.
  • Liability insurance: Decline liability insurance, if offered by the agency. Liability insurance limits are:
    • $100,000 per person
    • $300,000 per accident
    • $25,000 for property
  • In the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii), CDW and liability insurance are provided.
  • Outside the U.S., is generally included. Additional coverage may be included.

Agreements do not include:

  • Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI): Typically you do not need SLI; however, you may decide to purchase SLI if renting for a large group or high-risk activity.
  • 100/300/25 liability insurance if outside the U.S.

Reimbursement for rental car insurance is only available under special circumstances because coverage is included in the UC agreements. Please check with your campus travel manager regarding special circumstances.

To arrange car rental with agencies using UC agreements, use Balboa Travel, BCD Travel, or UC Travel Center as special rates and insurance coverage are automatically offered (also offered via the online booking tools, Concur & GetThere).

For car rental agencies not using UC agreements, employees should use the UC business Visa card. Full-value coverage is provided for collision, loss, damage, fire, vandalism, and theft at no extra charge. If you rent a car, liability insurance will not be included. Instead, your personal insurance is primary and not eligible for reimbursement.