Business Resource Center
New hire process
Before referring the new hire to the BRC Payroll Team for the interview, the department needs to forward to the Team the signed offer letter.
The department also needs to complete and forward the payroll action form (xlsx) providing contact name.
New hire interview
After receiving the requisite documents and forms from the Local HR Office or department personnel manager, the BRC conducts an interview providing the following services to the new employee:
- Provision of a packet of information containing an overview of UC benefits and enrollment instructions, including the deadlines for enrollment
- Provision of a schedule of new employee orientation sessions
- I-9 certification (Employment Eligibility Verification)
- Administration of the State Oath and Patent Acknowledgment
- E-Verification of eligibility to work in the U.S. (if employee is to be paid on federal fund sources)
- UC Trust certification (UC-system identity/access management program)
- Provision of a personalized timesheet file (within one week of the UCOP start date)
- At Your Service access information
- Referral to benefits - (510) 987-0900.
The BRC Payroll Team enters the new hire employment and payroll data into the UCLA system. The department’s non-mandatory PPP reviewer will automatically receive a PAN (Post-Audit Notification) of the transaction.
Special instructions for the hiring of employees at remote locations into departments supported by BRC Payroll
At or near a location with other UC employees
A personnel officer within the department can assist in completing the I-9 and Oath or, if there is no personnel contact, any other University employee at the location or a nearby one can assist.
Prior to finalizing the forms, the completed, unsigned forms should be emailed to BRC Payroll or faxed to the Team at (510) 287-3840. The Payroll Team will review the documents and give instructions for the finalization.
Originals should then be mailed to:
1111 Franklin, 9th Floor
Oakland, CA 94607
UC Trust certification is only available through the BRC Payroll Team and cannot be completed at remote locations.
At a remote location where the new hire will be the sole employee
UCLA Payroll provides instructions and forms to be used in the unusual situation where an employee works alone at a location remote from any University facilities.