Business Resource Center
Inter-Campus hire process
Before referring the new inter-campus hire to the BRC Payroll Team for the interview, the department needs to forward to the employee the required hire forms.
The department will need to complete and forward the payroll action form (xlsx) along with the signed offer letter. It is important to provide a contact name from the departing campus.
New hire interview for inter-campus transfers
After receiving the requisite documents and forms from the Local HR Office or department personnel manager, the BRC conducts an interview providing the following services to the new employee:
- Provision of a packet of information containing an overview of UC benefits and enrollment instructions (UPAY850), including the deadlines for enrollment (if applicable)
- Provision of a schedule of new employee orientation sessions
- E-Verification of eligibility to work in the U.S. (if employee is to be paid on federal fund sources)
- UC Trust certification (UC-system identity/access management program)
- Provision of a personalized timesheet file (within one week of the UCOP start date)
- Referral to the benefits office - (510) 987-0900
- I-9 certification (Employment Eligibility Verification) - only when there is a break in service
- Administration of the State Oath and Patent Acknowledgment - only with a 6 month or more break in service
The BRC Payroll Team enters the new hire employment and payroll data into the UCLA system. The department’s non-mandatory PPP reviewer will automatically receive a PAN (Post-Audit Notification) of the transaction.
The separating campus will complete a UFIN301 form and screen shots confirming employee records. The UCLA intercampus coordinator provides the UFIN and screen shots to BRC payroll to update the transferring employee's benefits. Transferring employees and their dependents have benefit coverage from their previous campus for an additional month from the transfer date. Benefits for Intercampus transfers do not change, they transfer over. The only time the medical benefit would change is if employee moves out of the area, such as Northern California to Southern California or the Washington, D.C. area. If this is the case, the transferring employee selects a new medical plan. No other benefits change. The vacation, sick leave balances and original hire date will be updated by BRC payroll when the intercampus transfer coordinator confirms all balances and the original hire date.
Special instructions for the hiring of inter-campus employees at remote locations only if there is a break in service
A personnel officer within the department can assist in completing the I-9 and the Oath or, if there is no personnel contact, any other University employee at the location or a nearby one can assist. UCLA Payroll provides instructions and forms to be used in the unusual situation where an employee works alone at a location remote from any University facilities.
Originals should then be mailed to:
1111 Franklin, 9th Floor
Oakland, CA 94607
UC Trust certification is managed only through the BRC Payroll Team and cannot be completed at remote locations, however, the off-site location can provide BRC payroll contact a written certification that the employee's log on was verified by a personnel officer within the department. BRC Payroll will then process the certification.
- About the form (Forms I-9, Oath and notary instructions)