Frequently asked questions

Our school had its initial visit from an accrediting organization and are waiting for the results of the review commission. Can we set up an “a-g” course list now?

No. Only those high schools that are accredited are eligible to establish an "a-g" course list. Once you have received notification of your term of initial accreditation you may begin the process of setting up an “a-g” course list. A copy of the notification letter from the regional accrediting organization is required to complete the New School Information Form.

Once we submit the School Registration Form, how long does it take for UC to approve our school and establish our course list?

It takes about three to four weeks for the High School Articulation unit to assess and verify the information provided on your School Registration Form and to set up an "a-g" course list. Depending on the time of year and volume of new schools, this may take longer. When a course list has been established, you will receive an e-mail notification with instructions on how to create login credentials for the A-G Course Management Portal (CMP) to begin submitting courses for "a-g" approval.

We are a middle school and heard that students can earn “a-g” credit for our math and language other than English courses. Does our school need to have a UC course list?

Although students can use courses in mathematics and languages other than English completed in the seventh and eighth grades with grades of C or better toward satisfying the subject requirements, the middle school does not need its own “a-g” course list. Course lists are established only for accredited, diploma-granting, California high schools.

How does UC differentiate between an independent study school and an online school? Is there a different process for these schools to establish an “a-g” course list?

UC defines a nonclassroom-based / independent study school as public, charter or private high school in which at least half of the students receive 80 percent of their instruction off campus. An institution is considered an online school when all, or most, courses are offered through Internet-based methods, with time and/or distance separating the teacher and learner. Online schools must meet the University’s online school criteria to establish an “a-g” course list while all other nonclassroom-based schools will abide by the independent study school policy.

Our comprehensive (classroom-based) high school is starting an independent study program for a small, selected group of students. Do we need to comply with the University’s independent study policy? Will UC require us to submit new course descriptions for our independent study courses?

The University's nonclassroom-based / independent study school policy only applies to schools in which at least half of the students receive 80 percent of their instruction off campus. In this scenario, more than half of the students are still receiving their instruction on campus, so the comprehensive high school is not required to comply with the institutional requirements for nonclassroom-based schools. However, UC encourages these schools to use this criteria as a guide when designing their independent study program.

New course descriptions are not required for independent study courses if the school is only modifying the delivery method of their "a-g" courses and not changing the content. If the school will be using additional transcript abbreviations to track those students taking “a-g” courses through the independent study program, please be sure that these additional transcript titles are added to the “a-g” course list.

If the independent study courses differ in content to the existing “a-g” courses offered at the comprehensive high school, then a new complete course content description is required for the independent study courses to receive UC approval.