This Handbook is for faculty members of the University of California. It is written primarily for ladder rank faculty, but many sections will be applicable to non-Senate faculty and other academic appointees as well. The Handbook does not replace the underlying written policies of the University, including memoranda of understanding with collective bargaining agents, but rather will provide you with summary information as well as a guide to where official policies and more detailed information can be found.
NOTE: Where an asterisk appears in the Handbook, the text of the referred material is given in the Appendix.
Published in September 1995
Office of the President
- Key features of the University
- A brief history of the University of California
- Master plan
- University governance and administration
- Appointment and advancement
- Benefits and privileges
- Teaching and student relations
- Outside professional activities
- The University of California Libraries
- University of California Extension
- Cooperative Extension
- Agricultural Experiment Station
- University of California Press
Academic Personnel Policies
Systemwide Academic Personnel Manual (APM) policies originate at the University of California Office of the President (UCOP). Policies are developed and maintained by the Academic Personnel Unit in the Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President--Academic Affairs. The UCOP Academic Personnel Unit and each campus Academic Personnel Office maintain official copies of the Academic Personnel Manual. The Manual is accessible online at: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel/academic-personnel-policy/index.html.