Academic Personnel and Programs
Faculty Leadership Seminars
Fostering inclusive excellence
Providing interactive seminars, tools, and resources to broaden faculty leaders’ capacity to support faculty diversity and enhance department and campus climate toward inclusive excellence, this effort is funded by President Janet Napolitano's Presidential Initiatives under the President’s Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program.
- Help participants gain a better understanding of implicit bias and microaggressions and their impact on departmental/school climate;
- Increase participants' effectiveness at recognizing and interrupting/addressing microaggressions when they occur;
- Discuss tools and strategies for developing an inclusive departmental/school climate.
Provide online access to tools, resources, and promising practices for developing inclusive departmental/school climates.
Campus seminar materials
- Take the implicit bias test
- State of the science: Implicit bias review 2014
- How to remove gender bias in hiring
- Presumed Incompetent: Important lessons for university leaders on the professional lives of women faculty of color
- Reflections on Presumed Incompetent: The intersections of race and class for women in academia symposium - The plenary panel
- Diversity in the classroom
- Consequences of stereotype threat and how to reduce it
- Critical race theory & microaggressions - Chicano-Latino students (pdf)
Improving departmental climate
- Enhancing department climate: A guide for department chairs (pdf)
- Faculty retention and department climate
- Change in higher education: Understanding and responding to individual and organizational resistance (pdf)
- Chairing the department: A resource for department chairs
Recruitment, searches, and evaluation processes:
- Reviewing applicants: Research on bias and assumptions (pdf)
- Good, better, best practices (pdf)
- Guides for search committees
- Good practices involving faculty hiring, mentoring and evaluation processes
- President’s and Chancellors’ Postdoctoral Fellows eligible for the UC hiring incentive and FAQs
Gender equity/family friendly:
- Tools for change: Boosting the retention of women in the STEM pipeline
- Creating a family friendly department: Chairs and deans toolkit (pdf)
- Balancing work & life as an assistant professor
- Using theater to stage instructional and organizational transformation (pdf)
- Using interactive theater to enhance classroom climate (pdf)
This actually works: Promising practices from UC campuses that build and sustain a culture of inclusion
It is useful to think of inclusive academic work environments along a continuum and that any department can improve on their efforts. These links will take you to “promising practices”--processes, strategies, and programs already in place on UC campuses—which may work for any UC department or school seeking to make improvement. There is no need to "reinvent the wheel."
The UCADVANCE PAID roundtable seminars in 2012-14 included a variety of best practices in building a diverse faculty and nurturing an inclusive climate. The best practices include programs focused on mentoring, review, hiring, contributions to diversity, workplace climate, data collection, and under-represented minority faculty recruitment and retention.