Information Technology Services
E-mail Management: New Implementation Date
Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:51 AM
To: UCOP Community
From: Shirley Bittlingmeier, ITS Client Services Officer
We have pushed back the e-mail management program implementation by one week to give everyone a little more time to review and move old messages. Program details, timeline, and announcements are available online. I'd also like to provide a few reminders about the program, which now will be implemented July 9.
Moving Messages to Storage Personal Folders
Between now and July 8, you should be moving e-mail messages you want to keep to Personal Folders or file shares. The Outlook Archive (a storage option on the server) will not be available until July 6. If you wish, after July 6 you may easily drag any Personal Folders you have created to the Outlook Archive. But as long as you have moved messages to Personal Folders, they will not be deleted.
Between now and June 22, anyone who has e-mail messages in the EVault that they want to keep should first restore them to the Inbox and then move them to storage. EVault will be decommissioned on June 29. See this video for instructions on restoring vaulted messages.
Note: Mac users do not need to take this step. The EVault restore icon doesn't appear on the Mac so Service Desk has had to restore all items for Mac users. It would be helpful if Mac users sent an e-mail to Service Desk confirming that they use a Mac, so that we can verify we have restored their e-mail. Like everyone, Mac users must now determine which messages they want to keep and move them to storage.
We have posted an FAQ on the website, under Resources, listing common questions we've been receiving. Keep sending us your questions and well continue to add to the FAQ.
- Now - June 22: UCOP personnel review and make decisions about vaulted e-mail items. See instructional video.
- Now - July 8: UCOP personnel review e-mail messages in Inbox, Sent, Drafts, and Junk and move those they wish to keep to storage.
- June 29: EVault is decommissioned. Vaulted messages that remain (in Inbox, Sent, Drafts, and Junk) are deleted.
- July 6: The new storage option, the Outlook Archive, becomes available.
- July 9: All e-mail messages (in Inbox, Sent, Drafts, and Junk) over one year old are automatically deleted on a daily basis.