Information Technology Services
E-mail Management Instructions and Tips
Date: May 11, 2012
To: UCOP Community
From: Shirley Bittlingmeier, Director, IT Infrastructure Services, ITS
As mentioned in the e-mail from EVP Brostrom on May 1, ITS is implementing an e-mail management program effective July 1, after which e-mail messages in the Inbox, Sent, Drafts, and Junk folders that are older than one year will be automatically deleted. You need to prepare for implementation and ensure that messages you wish to keep are moved to storage and not deleted:
- Cull Old E-mail. Now - July 1,
review old e-mail and move messages you want to keep to storage.
You may delete the rest or allow them to be automatically deleted
when they turn 366 days old.
- If you forget to move a message, it will be automatically deleted after one year. You can check in the Deleted Items folder, where it will reside for 14 days, unless you empty the folder sooner on your own or automatically when you shut down your computer. After 14 days it will be deleted.
- Handle Vaulted E-mail: Now - June 15, first restore to the Inbox and then move to storage vaulted e-mail you want to keep. See a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxrRLPNMNg for instructions about restoring vaulted messages so that you can move them to storage.
More information about the e-mail management program is posted on the Web. Many of your departments are conducting internal training about e-mail management. ITS will offer brown bag sessions to demo techniques for managing e-mail. All demos will be held from noon to 1:00.
- May 22: Kaiser Building, room 1217
- May 23: 415 20th Street Building, room 302
- May 25: Franklin Building, Lobby 1 conference rom