Innovative Learning Technology Initiative
Using technology to enhance UC students' learning experiences
The Innovative Learning Technology Initiative (ILTI) is designed to meet UC campus needs for high quality online or hybrid course offerings. The Initiative will enhance the educational opportunities and achievements of UC students by helping them get access to high demand courses, satisfy degree requirements and graduate on time.
ILTI was established in January 2013 by UC’s President Mark G. Yudof. The Office of the Provost, Academic Senate and UC Online provide program leadership, while UC students, faculty and administrators have played important roles in defining and shaping ILTI’s framework and guidelines.
- ILTI Project Statement, May 2013 (pdf)
- ILTI SharePoint site (login required) — clearinghouse for program documents, calendar and announcements
ILTI’s strategy will stem from four interconnected components:
- Funds will be available to UC faculty to create new online courses and enhance existing online courses.
- Department and campus support for the courses will also be provided, to ensure that courses developed will be offered for multiple years on multiple campuses.
- A cross-campus enrollment system with a searchable database of online courses will help students find and enroll in needed classes.
- Evaluation of how well the initiative is performing will provide key accountability data.
Building on a solid base
ILTI will build on the prior accomplishments of UC faculty in developing and teaching online courses that are strong and viable options for student learning. UC's existing online course offerings span the breadth and depth of a quality undergraduate education — from the culture and context of dance to climate change, foreign language classes, and programming software in engineering. ILTI will take advantage of and move beyond what UC campuses are already doing to use innovative learning technology in undergraduate instruction.
ILTI in operation
An initial request for proposals was distributed and responded to in March 2013, with nearly 120 responses from UC faculty interested in developing and teaching online courses. Development of the systemwide searchable database of ILTI courses has begun, as has development of an electronic hub to support and facilitate cross-campus enrollment for all UC students.
Check back here for announcements and additional information as the Initiative progresses.